The year 2003 has many delectable movies despite of success rate not crossing 35 percent out of the 100 films released. The controversies rose in the mid of the year really brought down the mood among the audience to go to the theatres. As superstar Vishnuvardhana rightly says – in all the states they make all attempts to bring the audience to the theatres. But in Karnataka we tell the audience not to come to the theatres by closing down the cinema halls at regular intervals. Perhaps this attitude had a killing effect on the coffers.
However two straight films ‘Abhi’ and ‘Chandra Chakori’ and two remake movies ‘Kutumba’ and ‘Raktha Kanneeru’ are the super hit films in the year 2003. With two hits and just released ‘Gokarna’ Upendra is undoubtedly the ‘Star’ of the year. Puneeth Rajkumar with just one release ‘Abhi’ is the ‘powerful star’ (this is the crown he has got this year) of the year. While Darshan Togudeepa gives a stunning second year as hero he is the safe bet for the producers. Kariya, Laali Haadu, Lankesh Patrike, Namma Preethiya Ramu, Daasa and Annavru have turned out to be toppers at cash registers. In the debut the striking performance was seen from Murali in ‘Chandra Chakori’ and Mayoor in ‘Mani’.
The list of other hero’s goes like this – Vishnuvardhan played the role of ‘Wall’- two of his films ‘Raja Narasimha’ and ‘Hrudayavantha’ did average business. It is a bad year for Shivrajkumar. He had five releases two are good in box office. Sudeep’s Kichcha, Partha are average and he has ‘Swathi Muthu’ just released. Jaggesh 3, Vijaya Raghavendra 4, S.Narayan 2, Ramesh 2, Patil 2, Naveen Mayoor 3, Shivadwaj 4, Om Prakash Rao, Sara Govindu 1 (became heroes this year) 2, Mohan 2, Saikumar 4, Ananthnag 6, Yogishwar 2, Rajendra 2, Devraj 9, Ravichandran 1, Shivaramu 1 are the other prominent stars had below average success.
There are about one and half a dozen newcomers in this year – Murali, Adarsh, Jeevan, Sa.Ra.Govindu, Raghu Mukerji, Srihari, Nitil Krishna, Teja, Meka Muralikrishna, Krishna Mohan, SP Charan, Tarun, Harish, Hanumanthe Gowda, Mayoor, Madhu Bangarappa and S.Ramesh.
Among the heroines it is the year of Ramya – She has figured in Abhi and Excuse me. She walks away with honors. Rakshita figured in two and the result of ‘Gokarna’ is yet to come. It was a disastrous year for Prema and Radhika. Ruthika figured in five but not able to sail in a strong role. Anu Krishnakumar was just average with five films in the year. Bhavana had three releases and she bagged the state award for ‘Kshama’.
Naaz, Debina Mukerji, Abhinayasri, Megana naidu, Aishwarya, Abhirami, Mahalakshmi, Gumtaj, Soniraj, Jahnavi, Minal, Ramya, Nethanya, Shwetha Menon, Sri Urvashi Patel, Sarvamangala, Jr Silk Smitha, Neha, Rekha Unnikrishnan, Vidya Venkatesh, Madhuri Bhattacharya, Rashmi Kulkarni, Navya, Hardeep and Hamsavijetha made debut in Kannada.
It is ‘Prem’ ka jawab Nahin. He had two releases – Kariya and Excuse Me. Narayan’s ‘Chandra Chakori’ was too good. Khushi’s Prakash is notable youngster. 27 directors made debut. Yogaraj Bhat, SR brothers, Prem, Prakash, Srinivas, Tesi Venkatesh, Varamulli Podi, Subbaiay, Lucky Shanker, Ramesh, Nataraj Kanagod, Srinivasamurthy, Vasudev, Shivaji Ghorpade, Nageshwara Rao, Annayya, Hemanth Hegde, Ragavendra Rajasekhar, PPR Thimmaraju, Krishnadas, Maheshwar, B.Manjunath, Sadhu Kokila, Bharathi Kannan, Udaya Shanker, Sanjay Vijay and Rajasekhar.
In the music department it is the most convincing performance year for Gurukiran. He was able to undergo the onslaught of 11 new comers including R.P.Patnayak of ‘Excuse Me’. Gurukiran’s Kariya, Sachchi, Kutumba, Panchali, Abhi, Khushi, Partha and Gokarna are pretty good in the audio sales too. Hamsalekha scored music for 14 films but could not make it big. Manohar 6, Rajesh Ramanathan 10, Babji Sandeep 2, Krupakar 2, Venkat and Narayan 2, Ilayaraja 1 are in below average slot. Layendra, Prayog, Srishaila, Suresh Devkumar, Venkatesh, Venkat and Narayan, Raja, Deepak and Patnayak are the other new comers.
In the camera wing it is Seenu all the way for his brilliant handling in Kariya and Excuse me films. Others in the camera department are - Anaji Nagaraj 6, P.K.H.Das 4, Suvarna 4, Krishnakumar 4, R.Giri 3, Janardhan Babu, Mathew Rajan, Mllikarjun 2.
Kariya, Dhumbee, Daali, Srikalikamba, Don, Jaya., Laali Hadu, Pukka Chukka, Heart Beats, Neendre Ishta, Border, Ananda, Sachchi, Nooru Manasu Mooru Kanasu, Bangalore Bundh, Adhu, Nagabharana, Badri, Gandhinagara, Ye Naa Bishma Kano, Colors, Raja Narasimha, Wrong Number, Nimma Preethige Jaya, Kaththegalu Saar kathegalu, Nanna Hedthi Madhuve, Devara Makkalu, Yardo Duddu Yellammana Jathre, Halo, Parusha, Kichcha, Rhythm, Kutumba, Paris Pranaya, Singaravva, Abhi, Preethslebeku, Kushalave Kshemave, Nee Illade Naa Illa Kane, Thayi Illadha Thabbali, Ramaswamy Krishnaswamy, Lankesh Patrike, Black and White, Vijayashanthi, Mise Chiguridada, Tada Kaidhi, 50:50, Ananda Nilaya, Ulaala…, Kalarava, Prathidwani, Panchali, Hero, Talwar, Hudugigaagi, Smile, Chandra Chakori, Nanjundi, Market Raja, Kasu Iddone Basu, Mane Magalu, Preethi Prema Pranaya, Hunter, Jogula, Ankha, Lovve Pasagali, Vijayadashami, Raktha Kanneeru, Body Guard, Inspector Jayasimha, Hrudayavantha, Chigurida Kanasu, Khushi, Game, Ondagona Baa, Huchchna Madhuveli Ondonu Jaana, Balashiva, Gadibidi Brothers, Ree Swalpa Barthira, Namma preethiya Ramu, Daasa, Khaaki, Sri Renukadevi, Partha, Mani, Vijayasimha, Dreams, Odu, Dhad Dhad, Ardhangi, Shravana Sambrama, Annavru, Excuse Me, Gokarna, Swathi Muthu, Sriram and Yagna.
100 DAYS FILMS
Kariya, Kutumba, Abhi, Preethi Prema Pranaya, Sriram, Chandra Chakori, Raktha Kanneeru and Khushi.
Jaya, Badri, Ananda, Raja Narasimha, Nanna Hendthi Madhuve, Game, Ondagona Baa, Annavru, Gokarna, Swathi Muthu, Namma Preethiya Ramu, Mane Magalu, Kshemave Kushalave, Nee Ildhe Naa Illa Kane, Raktha Kanneeru, and Preethslebeku.
EVENTS AND DEVELOPMENTS - 2003
• Sri Balaji, Tribhuvan, Kailash theatres were spruced up.
• Nagathihalli twin function on August 15. Nagathi film festival and literary works seminar was held at Davanagere.
• Kalyan, lyricist cum music director moved to his new office ‘Spoorthi’, celebrated valentine day with love poet K.S.Narasimha Swamy. On independence day he celebrated with blind children of Ramana Maharshi school.
• Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce new office Guddali Pooja was held on Sankranthi day.
• Upendra, Devraj, Sarigama Viji moved to new houses.
• State awards were presented at Dr. Ambedkar Bhavan, 100 days celebration of Abhi was held.
• I would have become a ‘Sanyasi’ if not an actress says veteran B.Sarojadevi.
• Cinema TV directory released.
• Marriages of – senior PRO D.V.Suddendra daughter Chandrika, Upendra, Nandhita, Soundarya, Alankar, Darshan, Shilpa Gangaraj and others took place.
• First MP3 CD by Lahari Recording studio was released.
• T.S.Nagabharana was appointed administrator of CIFEJ.
• B.C.Patil opened an editing center at his home office.
• Halo Gandhinagar film awards presented. Suryodaya art foundation film awards presented.
• Deveeri film was selected to festival of transparency films.
• New show timings were announced.
• Knee cap and hip bone replaced for Dr.Rajkumar.
• A month long Cine Expo to raise funds for KFCC building was held at Bangalore palace.
• Duplicate Sachchi and Shewag graced the Lankesh Patrike audio release.
• Bharat Yatra Kendra organized a seminar on ‘Mouni’ Kannada film at Badami House.
• Darshan at Kiriyara Kate Kate, Shruthi is the judge.
• Balaga cine journalists forum was formed.
• Ravi Hamsalekha joined together for ‘Ondagona Baa’.
• Kodak Vision 2 film released.
• C.Ashwath 12 hours marathon musical program.
• KFCC ask subsidy for remake films.
• Adarsha Film institute completes 30 years of existence.
• M.D.Koushik studio was inaugurated.
• HD Camera introduced for the first time in ‘Magic Ajji’.
• Frame a month long workshop by Abhinaya Taranga school of learning.
• Site for Kannada Film Directors Association at Kengeri.
• Chinnappa a poster designer artist completed 50 years.
• Love under production Kannada film comes into a tie up with Air Tel company.
• Indo German film festival was held in Bangalore.
• Lahari signs a pack with FM Radio.
• Upendra brand ambassador to Nandini Milk.
• Vishnuvardhan becomes a grand father.
• Studio at Hesaraghatta for Hollywood film makers – Rs.35 crore project.
• Two times cricket match between cine journalists and Snehaloka team headed by Vishnuvardhana was held. Kadamba Cup was won by Snehaloka team.
CONTROVERSIES – 2003
• Dr.Kambara asked for remuneration for his song for every telecast of episode of Moodala Mane. The story of the TV serial was also in controversy as Rekha Kakandaki claimed it is her story.
• Actress Vinitha arrested.
• Vedike by H.D.Kumaraswamy – a break up faction of producers was formed.
• Vishnuvardhn attacks TV serial title ‘Daridra Lakshmiyaru’ by Phani Ramachandra – later it was changed as ‘Sahara Lakshmiyaru’.
• Pukka Chukka heroine Mahalakshmi marriage broke – reason she wore ugly costumes in that film.
• Dumbee violated censor guidelines.
• Sudeep warns journalist and director Indrajit Lankesh for tarnishing image.
• Goondaism in film industry allege colors film producer.
• Sri actress remark on actress Durga Shetty of Mise Chiguridaga irritates director Pravin Naik.
• B.C.Patil and Vijayadashami controversy. It is still continuing.
• Madan Patel threatens to pour acid on actress Rashmi.
• Ravichandran made remarks on director D.Rajendra Babu.
• Actor, producer and IAS officer K.Shivaramu fan threat on a journalist.
• THEATRE BUNDH ON SERVICE CHARGE – Government banned service charges.
• Dr.Rajkumar banner was scolded by producer H.D.Kumaraswamy. Shvirajkumar gives back.
• B.C. Patil was arrested in Hirekerur.
• Puneet-Mysore journalists controversy at Chamundi Hills.
• Ananthnag resigns as President of Okkuta.
• Durga Shetty cries at media meet for break of her marriage with actor Dharma.
• Johny a stunt artiste injured at Rowdy Aliya shooting.
• Soundarya files a complaint against producer Jayasri Devi.
• Producer K.Manju hits out director Narayan.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• The mega portal on Kannada cinema CHITRALOKA has some rejoicing moment. This popular website has been awarded the ‘Golden Web Awards’ given by the International Association of Web Master and Designers (IAWMD) for 2003-2004.
• Gubbi Veeranna award was presented to Chidodi Leela.
• Silver crown for Nandhita.
• Honor to PBS, S.Janaki, P.Susheela and K.J.Yesudas by Golden Jubilee of Telugu Vignana Vedike.
• Life Time achievement award to Vishnuvardhan from Film Fare magazine.
• Sudeep wins the 2nd film fare award. He also pockets state award.
• 50th National film awards – Singaravva best regional film, Mouni selected to Indian panorama. A Bangalorean Prakash Belawadi directed English film ‘Stumble’ got special recognition.
• Vishnuvardhana wins all India intellectual Association award and Cine PRO’s honor.
• Rajyotsava award to TS Nagabharana, Tara, Baraguru, Srinath, Jayasri and Prema Karanth.
• Vatika man of the year in association with ETV bestowed on Dr.Rajkumar.
• Dweepa honored at Moscow festival.
• Hamsarathna award for Hamsalekha.
• Devara Makkalu was selected for Hyderabad Children film festival.
• State awards announced for 2003-2003.
DEATH AND TRAGEDIES
• This is the year the film industry lost ‘Amma’ and ‘Brahma’. Arthath in the beginning of the year the industry lost Pandari Bai Amma and at the fag end of the year Chitra Brahma G.V.Iyer died.
• Few days before closing of this year we lost Veteran Kannada film actor Gangadhar (67) died of kidney failure and sugar. Dr.K.S.Narasimhaswamy popularly known as KSN – the Mysoora Mallige Kavi, the genius in literary circle for his poems in six decades of writing died
• Director V.Somasekhar, Basavaraj Kestur, S.K.Chari artist Venki, Make Up Nani, producer Vikram Srinivas, music director Gunasingh have left us.
• In a major road accident near Davanagere TV star K.P.Nanjundi escaped with major injuries. Three persons traveling with him were – cine journalist Manohar Tholahunase, voice over artist Mahalakshmi and